Andromeda – M31 September 04, 2015

This image is of the Andromeda galaxy taken on September 04, 2015. This image contains 6 images at 5 minutes a piece, along with 20 flat frames, 20 bias frames, and 20 dark frames. Processing, and post processing were all done in PixInsight.

Andromeda 09-04-15

This is only the second image I have ever processed completely in PixInsight so this is still a learning experience for me. I followed a tutorial on Light Vortex page on the steps to get a fully processed image using masks, and HDR tools.

I know I have been slacking on updating and posting here to my blog and I hope to get out more in the near future to continue imaging and editing the cosmos for you all to enjoy.

Equipment:
Omni XLT 150
CG-5 Advanced Series Go-To
Lin_Guider in Linux for autoguiding
Orion Starshoot Autoguider
Modified Canon 350D
Baader MPCC Mark III Coma Corrector

M31 – Andromeda Part 2

The other night (night of Sept. 13 into the morning of the 14th) I managed to get out and do another set of images of M31, The Andromeda Galaxy. Part 1 can be found here. This stack is separate from Part 1, and I supposed we could chalk this one up as another test run.

M31 – Andromeda

I had attempted making a DIY reticle eyepiece which worked alright especially since it allowed me to finally go above 1 minute exposures. I was able to capture these images at 2 minute exposures at ISO 800. I took in total 25 images, but ended up only getting 10 images that were good enough to stack, so altogether I got a total of 20 minutes of data collected, instead of the 50, or even 40 minutes I was hoping for.

One of my biggest issues with this session is the light pollution, so now I’m desperately looking into how I can make flat frames. The artificial flat frame tutorial I did for M52 seems a bit impossible with the size of this galaxy as it takes up the whole frame, and when I try to create the artificial flat it ends up subtracting the majority of the galaxy from the image.

Once I can figure out how to remove the majority, even if it’s only 50%, of the light pollution I may possibly be able to start my many hours of data collection on Andromeda in hopes of creating a super image by the end of fall. That’s the goal anyway. Hoping that with flat frames I can remove the vignetting, reduce light pollution, and be able to pull out some of the colors within Andromeda along with better detail in the dust lanes.

Equipment:
Omni XLT 150
Canon 350D
T-ring
T-ring adapter
Intervalometer