M31 – Andromeda Part 2

The other night (night of Sept. 13 into the morning of the 14th) I managed to get out and do another set of images of M31, The Andromeda Galaxy. Part 1 can be found here. This stack is separate from Part 1, and I supposed we could chalk this one up as another test run.

M31 – Andromeda

I had attempted making a DIY reticle eyepiece which worked alright especially since it allowed me to finally go above 1 minute exposures. I was able to capture these images at 2 minute exposures at ISO 800. I took in total 25 images, but ended up only getting 10 images that were good enough to stack, so altogether I got a total of 20 minutes of data collected, instead of the 50, or even 40 minutes I was hoping for.

One of my biggest issues with this session is the light pollution, so now I’m desperately looking into how I can make flat frames. The artificial flat frame tutorial I did for M52 seems a bit impossible with the size of this galaxy as it takes up the whole frame, and when I try to create the artificial flat it ends up subtracting the majority of the galaxy from the image.

Once I can figure out how to remove the majority, even if it’s only 50%, of the light pollution I may possibly be able to start my many hours of data collection on Andromeda in hopes of creating a super image by the end of fall. That’s the goal anyway. Hoping that with flat frames I can remove the vignetting, reduce light pollution, and be able to pull out some of the colors within Andromeda along with better detail in the dust lanes.

Equipment:
Omni XLT 150
Canon 350D
T-ring
T-ring adapter
Intervalometer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *